Richard Gere Appointed Relais & Châteaux 2011 Ambassador
Richard Gere, actor and passionate inn-keeper of the Bedford Post, has been named the 2011 Ambassador of the Relais & Châteaux. The charming eight-bedroom Bedford Post, located about an hour north of New York City, owned by Gere, his wife Carry Lowell, and their business partner Russell Hernandez, is a new addition to the Relais & Châteaux family. As a result, the acclaimed actor of “Chicago” and “Pretty Woman” has stepped into the role of ambassador as a Relais & Châteaux inn-keeper himself. He succeeds the author, Douglas Kennedy (2009), and wine grower and actress, Carol Bouquet (2010).
OPENING RIGHT NOW!
Maple Leaf Square is a sleek, new, urban Toronto destination where NHL hockey and NBA basketball fans, city dwellers, concert revelers, busy professionals and frequent travelers gravitate. The newly built urban lifestyle zone is distinguished by contemporary architecture and design. It features Toronto’s my significant public arts investment, and expansive food emporium, fine and casual dining and shopping opportunities. The $500-million development was conceived and constructed by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Lanterra Development Corporation. Watch this space for a review of their, E11even. Can they be saying they are an 11 out of 10? The proof is in the tasting–and telling
Sustain Ontario and the Ontario Culinary Tourism Council have released a fascinating paper titled From Land to Plate. They discuss the dilemmas and victories of alternative food distribution in Ontario.
The trends identified are:
1. Interest in local food is growing rapidly.
2. Interest in the origins of food is increasing.
3. Concerns over safety and food related health problems are rising.
4. Consolidation and centralization have created opportunities for small producers.
5. There is a farm income crisis.
6. Processing infrastructure of an appropriate scale for local producers has been lost.
7. Local food is seen as a way to reduce dependency on fuel and reduce fuel costs in the food sector.
8. Consumers are seeking a return to taste and pleasure in food.
9. Food can help build strong local economies.